The other day, I read this article about a girl who committed suicide. She was a student athlete at University of Pennsylvania. She couldn’t handle the pressure of college as well as athletics.
That wasn’t really the thing that bothered me. It was the fact that people create a sort of persona that they use on social media. They become storytellers. People give you their best side. Only telling the part of the story.
I decided to examine my own social media and realized that I’m doing exactly what I described above. While in the moment I was feeling what I wrote, I wasn’t always happy go lucky. I only post relatively attractive pictures of myself.
Do you think you edit yourself on social media to meet some ideal? Let me know in the comments below.
I thought that the video below was pretty thought provoking.
After watching the video, it really got me to think about all of my “ands”. While I generally don’t like labels, I realized that I have more of them than makes sense to list in a single blog post.
Here are just a few:
- sing (though usually in the shower)
- medieval recreationist
What are some of your “ands”? Leave them in the comments below or tweet them at me @thtrnerd221.
Today, I thought that I would do a tag from YouTube. Usually this would take the form of a video, but since I don’t have the means to do that, I’ll be doing it in writing.
You can watch author and booktuber, Robyn Schneider’s video below:
1. I would give up the internet for a month for a signed first edition of this book: Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. This was my favorite book when I was growing up. I still read it from time to time.
2. I would give up pizza for a year if it meant I could sit next to this author on a long plane ride: John Green. I love his entire library of books. They’re some of my current favorites and it would be fun to pick John’s brain for a bit.
3. I would sit through a thousand hours of commercials if it would ensure that Hollywood made this book into a movie: I need to think on this more.
4. I would never read a new book again if it meant I could live inside this book A. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling.
5. I would let my google search history be made public if it meant I could be best friends with this author: Wil Wheaton. I’m a nerd. He’s a nerd. Enough said.
6. I would donate everything I own to goodwill if it meant I could date this book character in real life: Alaska from John Green’s Looking for Alaska
Let me know what your answers are in the comment below.